I was reading an article today, and made me think of a conversation I had with Jen the other day about this very subject. Fat Loss. We women are biologically inclined to store extra fat (for childbearing) and it is usually stored in the hips and thighs. So, how do we get rid of this? Heavy Weight Training? Cardio? Surprisingly it's not heavy weights. I was kind of shocked! But if you are trying to slim down your lower body, and you train with heavy weights, you could be making the problem worse by making the muscle in your legs bigger, and making them appear even larger. So instead of training heavy, go for higher repetitions with lighter weights. The more repetitive the exercise (like running, walking, aerobics, swimming, etc) the better. So I lift heavy weights, to build my upper body, and then do a lot of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, and videos) to slim down my lower half. This helps me to create a more balanced size between the upper and lower body. Plus if I have nice toned and muscular arms and shoulders, it will draw the eye up, away from the areas I'm more self conscious about and trying to slim/tone. :) (Hopefully that's how it works anyway...LOL!)
Remember to switch up your workouts though. If you do the same exercises all the time, at the same intensity level, your body will get used to it and wont work as hard.
The number one key though: no matter how hard you workout, if you aren't as devoted to proper nutrition to go along with it, you will not see the results you long for. This is an area I struggle with. I was raised in the "low fat" era, and it's hard to remind myself to avoid the carbs and go for the protein instead. But when I do stick with healthy nutrition of natural carbs (fruits and veggies) and lean proteins, I see major results. It makes it worth it, because then when I give in and eat junk food, I see how miserable it makes me feel. I just don't feel as good physically. That alone should be incentive to eat healthy nutritious foods. But every now and then the temptation for ice cream or pizza gets the better of me....I am only human. I just remind myself that this is a lifestyle, and it's OK to have something like this as an occasional treat, as long as it doesn't become a habit.
Best Roller Skates Under $50
-
Roller skating is a kind of sport and one can practice roller skating with
the roller skates. The roller skates come in different designs and with
differ...
5 years ago

2 comments:
The only weights I do are in my hardbody class. It's great b/c since the gym is all women, they pretty much have the same mentality that you posted here -heavy upper body weights, and then cardio for the legs. The only real leg strengthening exercises we do are repeated squats, lunges, etc. using our own body weight - no heavy leg presses, curls or anything like that. My quads are big enough from running - I don't need the extra bulk :) Thanks for the insight - good points!
Grrr...this is so easy to be excited about right now....but if only I could remember these words when an order of cheese breadsticks with marinara is staring me in the face!!
:o)
Guess I should lighten up my load on my squats....I usually load up the bar and stick it behind my neck while I do squats...but maybe that is a bad idea..even though the instructor really encourages us to go as heavy as we can. hmm....
Anyway, I'm really trying to do a lot of cardio/plyo/elliptical too...to hopefully lean up my booty and hips and thighs. We'll see...
Post a Comment