Monday, July 26, 2010

Body Image

Have you ever felt like you just don't look good enough, like you need to lose a certain amount of weight, or spot reduce, or have some cellulite you want to get rid of? I have the cure. Anytime you start feeling really down about your body image, just go to.....(no not Wally World...tho that is another good one LOL).....in this case, Hurricane Harbor! LOL! It's a Six Flags Water Park. We took the boys last week. It was their first trip ever to a water park. We had so much fun! The boys loved going down the slides, and Seth became super brave and was going on any ride he could go on with me. We all had a blast!
But I was SHOCKED by the body's I saw sporting "itsy bitsy teeny weeny" bikinis. I was sort of self conscious about going to a water park and being in a bathing suit all day..wondering if I should wear a cover up all day or maybe a t-shirt over my bathing suit....until we got there. LOL! I started looking around, and I then hit my husband and said "hey, you didn't realize how lucky you were until today huh!" LOL! He agreed immediately!!
I'm telling ya, I was just shocked at how people didn't really care what they looked like. We saw every age, and every size, shape, and color sporting their little bikinis. So before the day was over, I was feeling pretty good about this little ol' body, loose wrinkled skin, minor cellulite and all. :-)

7 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, that is soooo true! I was so self-conscious about going to the public pool in my black one piece after having B . . . only to see, I had nothing to worry about! People without kids had let themselves go even more than I had - lol. But that still doesn't stop me from striving for better! Makes me wonder if people actually look in a mirror before they go out . . . and do they REALLY think they look good?! You always look suer cute and fit btw - I'd be struttin my stuff if I had your body!

Kate said...

*super* cute

KC said...

Thanks Kate! You made my day with that comment.

I agree, do they actually think "this looks good"? Who knows. But it made my tiny "issues" seem non-existent. LOL! I'll keep working at it, to maintain, and never give up on my fitness. (*My hubby deserves that from me too {and appreciates! LOL! ;)

KC said...

BTW: Kate, you should be proud and struttin' your stuff to. That amazing body gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby boy! Give it about a year, and you'll be in better shape than you were "before" you got pregnant. I'm serious. Carrying him around as he gets bigger, builds some major muscles! ;)

Jen said...

GIRL..I could put you next to Americas Top Model's and you'd STILL look HOT AS HECK in your bikini. You have ZERO to be self-conscious about.
I do totally understand what you mean about going to water parks though! HA! The only thing I worry about now when we go is "oh gosh, I hope people aren't looking at me thinking 'does she really think she looks good?'". I actually haven't worn a bikini in public at all this year. I've reverted back to tankinis. Not only are they more covering for this extra 10 pounds I've put on...but it feels a bit more modest when I'm bending over, leaning, squatting and sliding down slides.
I have to say though...ha ha ha...that last week we had some neighbor boys over to swim with my kids and one of the boys is 13. I wore my bikini since we were just at home. After they left Brooklyn said, "mom, Tyler said he thinks you're hot!" and Grant said, "yah, Brok said you were hot too!"
As ridiculous as that is, that totally made my day. I think I smiled for like half an hour after that! HA HA HA
(I'm not SURE what that says about me and my self-confidence/body image! eeek)
Anyway, I love it that you reminded Stephen of how lucky he is. I think a lot of our hubbies need to see what REALITY really looks like and then they'd appreciate us and our bodies a LOT more. If they never see what real women look like...all they have to compare us to is what they seen on TV/magazines etc. which is SO FRIGGIN FAKE and not what the enormous (haha) majority of women really look like. All 3 of us, you, Kate and me...we have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be grateful and proud of!

KC said...

Thanks Jen!

Rene' said...

i TOTALLY agree! There is nothing like going to a beach or place with water and folks in swimsuits, or even just summer attire, to realize that u aren't as bad off as u sometimes make yourself think. There are SO MANY people who seem to have no IDEA how unattractive certain things look (tight shirts for those with muffin tops! skanky outfits on 18yr old girls!jeans that are way too tight they CERTAINLY can't be comfortable!). I don't want them to feel bad about themselves, but geez, look in the mirror and choose a more flattering choice before leaving the store and buying that!
Yes, going to a place like that makes u realize u aren't so bad off, and that we are so critical of ourselves sometimes, that we need to realize we actually look pretty decent (we may not be supermodels, but we are normal people!) great post!

ps. on a side note, several years ago we were visiting friends in MI and swimming. Our friends had a younger daughter and a boy and girl in h.s. As I was getting my coverup off to go in the lake the teenage daughter said "wow, I wish I looked like that!" to me, I then told my husband "I just got the greatest compliment in the world" He seemed a little nervous as if maybe the teenage boy was hitting on me or something, and said "what happened?" I told him a teenage girl had just wished to have my body, and he smiled. Certainly made me feel good for the rest of the trip! :)